Punjab Kings did not retain their captain KL Rahul for IPL-2022 last season. Actually, he did not want to stay with this team. This is KL Rahul’s first reaction after the completion of the retention process. While sharing the picture of Punjab jersey, he wrote – It was a wonderful journey. Thanks for the love. Will fill up again at some point.
Releasing the list of retained players, Kumble said – Absolutely the biggest challenge for us was KL Rahul. We wanted to retain them. This is the reason why the franchise retained him as the captain for two seasons. He was a key player in the team, but we respect his decision to go for the auction. It was the player’s wish.
Let us tell you that KL Rahul was the biggest player of Punjab. He had scored more than 600 runs in 3 of the last 4 seasons. However, under his captaincy, he could not take the team to the playoffs. On the other hand, Mayank Agarwal is most likely to be made the captain in his absence.
List of retained players
- CSK: Ravindra Jadeja (16 cr), MS Dhoni (12 cr), Moeen Ali (8 cr), Ruturaj Gaikwad (6 cr)
- KKR: Andre Russell (12 cr, to be deducted from 16 cr purse), Varun Chakraborty (8 cr, 12 cr to be deducted from purse), Venkatesh Iyer (8 cr), Sunil Narine (6 cr)
- SRH: Kane Williamson (14 cr), Abdul Samad (4 cr), Umran Malik (4 cr)
- MI: Rohit Sharma (16 cr), Jasprit Bumrah (12 cr), Suryakumar Yadav (8 cr), Kieron Pollard (6 cr)
- RCB: Virat Kohli (15 crores), Glenn Maxwell (11 crores), Mohammad Siraj (7 crores)
- DC: Rishabh Pant (16 crores), Axar Patel (9 crores, 12 crores to be cut from purse), Prithvi Shaw (7.5 crores, 8 crores to be cut from purse), Enrique Nortje (6.5 crores)
- RR: Sanju Samson (14 cr), Jos Buttler (10 cr), Yashasvi Jaiswal (4 cr)
- PBKS: Mayank Agarwal (12 cr, 14 cr will be deducted from purse), Arshdeep Singh (4 cr)